Social media marketing may be the darling of the digital marketing ecosystem, but email marketing continues to be a dominant and effective way to gain traction with your customers. Statistics abound, but I can save you time by summing up the research and numbers: Email isn’t dead.
There are many types of communication that fall under the umbrella of email marketing — from transactional to promotional, from fundraising to thought leadership — that all depend directly on your businesses’ customer journey. There’s no singular way to be successful with email marketing. Like everything digital, there are many variables that make your situation unique — your goals, your audience, your resources, etc. But in the spirit of a mid-year check-in, I’ve compiled a list of articles that tackle email marketing best practices, common stats to see how you measure up, and some general recommendations.
Email Marketing Research & Inspiration
- If you’re looking for a smattering of statistics about email marketing to revitalize and inform you, this article is for you. “70 Email Marketing Stats Every Marketer Should Know”
- These self-identified email geeks — their site is reallygoodemails.com after all — think about email a lot, so take advantage of their geekery and dig into their site or blog.
- One of the most compelling facts that show email isn’t dead is the sheer number of emails sent through Mail Chimp — 204,383,657,109 in 2015. That’s over 200 billion. So you could say they have some knowledge under their belts. Find out benchmark analytics, subject-line recommendations, and a whole lot more from the research they’ve compiled.
- If you want to know how your open and clickthrough rates stack up, read: “Email marketing statistics 2016”
- Take a deeper dive by checking out Pardot’s “Complete Guide to B2B Email Marketing.” They’re owned by Salesforce, so they have a load of experience and look at how clever they are, you have to give them your email to get the report.
- See if the way you communicate with your customers aligns with how they want to be communicated with: “Marketing Research Chart: How consumers prefer to receive updates and promotions from brands.”
- HubSpot collects great “best of” content examples and this collection is no exception. “12 of the Best Email Marketing Examples You’ve Ever Seen (And Why They’re Great).”
As we know, nonprofits have a very different customer journey that brings with it a different cadence of mailings and different types of content. “6 Nonprofit Email Marketing Stats On How People Engage With Email” has specific insights about just that.
Have a favorite or go-to resource for insights and inspiration? Share it with us!
Don’t have an email strategy or want to take your existing one to the next level? We can help.