5 Tips for Creating Effective User Personas
First, what is a persona?
A user persona is a representation of a hypothesized person with whom you're trying to connect, often a customer or user of an organization's products and services. Personas are created from a variety of sources: interviews with real customers, conversations with people who interact with those customers, and research. They are communicated through descriptions that include behavior patterns, goals, skills, attitudes, and the environment, with a few fictional personal details to make the persona feel like a real human. These descriptions help designers, marketers, developers, and strategists create user-centered products and messaging.
Now, on to the tips.
Have people with different perspectives contribute their story.
Focus on psychographics as well as demographics.
- Very ambitious and power hungry
- Associates position in company with personal success (or failure)
- Favors personal time over family time
- Values networking and believes word of mouth and personal connections are the path to promotion
- Protects weekends and family time; loves playing ball with his son
- Hard worker who keeps his word
- Separates work and home life
- Wants to provide well for his family