At Clockwork, we don’t just pay lip service to collaboration. It’s at the core of how we solve problems. Our project roles let us focus, but they don’t silo us. Recently, we were able to super-flex our collab muscles on a fun project for Green Giant.

How we Worked Together

Green Giant’s Raise a Giant microsite takes a stand in the anti-bullying movement. It urges parents to write open letters of inspiration to their kids encouraging them to stand up against bullying.

Overall, this was a relatively small project with a tight, 11-day timeline. This created constraints, but also gave us license to explore more fluid ways of working together in order to think through and document both functional and design specs. Clockwork has a robust process that we use for most sizable projects, but one of the big benefits of having such a solid process is that we know when and where we can flex to accommodate a project’s needs.

Once we got approval on our standard Requirements Definition (that outlines the set of required features), we saw the opportunity to condense our UXA and Design documentation. 




The team hunkered down (together!) and sketched concepts. We presented two approaches at sketch fidelity, a site map, and page flows to Green Giant to get approval on a direction. We then sketched out (again, together) every key page in the application, working through most of the design and UX implications before Michelle (Designer) or I (UXA) even opened our laptops. It felt great to have a solution direction planned so early! 




Ultimately, we needed to create higher-fidelity documentation because the client was producing and developing the application. This meant handing off the user experience architecture and design files to an outside team, which requires more than low-fidelity sketches. So, Michelle and I worked on design comps and higher-fi wireframes concurrently; the UXA deck included annotated designs instead of wireframes for the key pages.

What We Accomplished

Stakeholders at Green Giant were able to see actual designs sooner than if we had done a formal wireframe review cycle, and the designs gave great context for reviewing the complete wireframe set.

Although the condensed documentation allowed us efficiencies, the accelerated timeline left us shifting gears when one of the key requirements (to require login before a visitor could compose a letter) was formalized after we had made considerable progress on the screen flows and interface. But, we were able to quickly align with the new direction and not lose momentum.

The internal Clockwork and Green Giant teams liked the “condensed” approach so much, we repeated it when we worked on the planning and design for the next Green Giant project!